Saturday, December 8, 2007

Calling Mali 101

So, lets say you want to call your drumming teacher in Bamako to tell him all about your tones and slaps, but don't want to spend the $4.50 per minute it usually costs? What do you do?

You download Skype and call from your computer for about .27 per minute.

Over on the Djembefola forum, James turned me on to Skype and I have to say, it rocks. I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly.

I told my husband about it and he was very skeptical because the last time he was in Vietnam, the internet phone service was patchy and had a pronounced delay, which made conversations awkward. But today, calling Sidy, it sounded great. No delay and very little noise on the line. The download is free and the calls to other Skype members are free too. To call other phones varies depending on where you are calling... but to call Mali today was about $2.75 for 10 minutes.

I'll try it with Vietnam next and report back!

OK. Back to practicing my tones and slaps.

No comments: