Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I get high...

When I play with other people. Always, always, I leave my drumming class feeling like I could climb mount Everest, or sing an aria, or dance in the streets. I never want it to end.

Last night, for the first time, I played distinct tones and slaps. It was a repeating pattern of tone tone slap slap slap slap. I could hear it, and more importantly, my teacher could. I could see the look on his face when he realized that I was playing them. Big smile. Big encouragement. 6 months later and finally, I can play something other than 'non-bass'.

New callouses. Strangely, I have two perfect red lines at the base of my middle fingers. They are some sort of blood blister, I think. Like drummer's stigmata. It is interesting that there is one on each hand.

And my thumbs are developing big callouses on the outside of the knuckle.

I asked Nguyen if he minded that my hands are getting rough and ugly. Not at all, he said.

For me, there is joy in every bump and bruise and blister.

3 comments:

micahsalkind said...

Thanks for stopping by the Black Notes blog! I'm thrilled that you have Sidy teaching at Grace now. He's so humble I don't get a ton of feedback from him on how we could help him make the class better (except that we are waiting on getting some flyers to allow him to publicize it). Would love to hear from you if there is anything else.

Rachel Nguyen said...

Micah,

I'll email you offline... but I can only say that Sidy is a phenomenal teacher. I have been taking his class for six months now and it has been a complete joy. All I can say is you guys have a real treasure in him.

Rachel Nguyen said...

Oh, and thanks for the link back!