Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I don't want to work

I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day

Todd Rundgren

I confessed to my friend Kathie that I am having a hard time motivating myself to work, lately. All I want to do is play my drum, take drum classes, play my drum some more. And maybe write about it all on my blog. She called me today and said that the Todd Rundgren tune was her ear worm for the day because she was thinking about me.

I added it up. Between the classes at Black Rep and Grace and my private lessons, I am taking 10 classes a month with Sidy. Add my practice time to that and no wonder the house looks like a herd of elephants traipsed through the living room. Dishes? Huh? You mean I am supposed to wash those?

So, am I obsessed? I think, uh, yeah.

The other day I showed my hands to my teacher. The bases and tips of all my fingers are completely calloused. I have dead skin flaking off. I stopped wearing my wedding ring months ago because I was afraid I'd lose it if I had to keep taking it off all the time. He laughed and said I am getting drummer's hands. Good thing I am not a hand model. I'd have to quit my job.

But I wouldn't mind because

I don't want to work. I want to bang on my drum all day.

No comments: