Thursday, December 6, 2007

News from Bamako


Got a brief call from Sidy today. He arrived safely after 2 days of travel and is home with the family. It sounds like all is well. I was happy to hear from him!

I have been working on my tones and slaps for the Sounou accompaniment. I can definitely play them differently... the trick is to teach my hands to do it without having to overthink it too much. The minute I focus in, I get lost in the midst of it and screw it up. I think, as I learn new pieces, I will try and play the slaps and tones right from the beginning, rather than just playing the generic 'non-bass' edge hits. It will be harder in the beginning, but in the long run, much better.

On Sunday evening we are having an informal drum circle at Grace church. I am looking forward to it. I am already going through major withdrawals and I haven't even officially missed a class yet.

Speaking of Grace, if you are in RI, come to one of our Wednesday evening services. They are beautiful. We sing and pray in candlelight and then share the Lord's supper together. The service starts at 6:30 and goes for about 45 minutes. Corner of Matthewson and Westminster in Providence. Look for the priest standing outside. He'll invite you in!

No comments: