Monday, April 28, 2008

The Gap

I once was talking with a friend about the gap between where you are and where you want to be in life. We were discussing spiritual growth, but I think the concept works for anything you are trying to develop.

I have been acutely aware of the gap between my playing skills as they are and the skills I want to have.

The other night, for example, I went to a drumming circle in Warren and one of my new Malian friends showed up. For part of the evening I sat next to him so we could play together. It was great fun, but left me realizing just how far I need to go before I am the kind of player I dream of being.

Vouloir, ce pouvoir.

I want to be able to play solos. I want to play stronger, harder, faster, longer, better.

But I also want to enjoy where I am right this minute... and not let the gap frustrate me too much.

No comments: